Tuesday 12 April 2016

Reflective Analysis

Originally I was planning a short promotional video for a local band but having contacted the band, I felt that they were too relaxed about the concept and as such making a promotional video for them would be far too hard to organise especially to a strict deadline. I decided to then ask one of the trip coordinators for the creative arts trip if they were looking for a promotional video and thankfully they were. I received my brief and discussed in person some of my initial ideas with the client, these ideas were well received and so I started on planning my video. This was probably the weakest part of my promotional video, I didn't organise myself very well and initial planning only really consisted of me location scouting and determining that I needed plenty of shots with students engaging in the activities the trip provided. One of the points raised by my client was that she wanted the video to be from a student perspective, because of this I felt that thorough planning was not needed as what I would normally film or photograph is a student perspective.

When filming I made sure that I shot a variety of items such as location shots, panning shots in galleries, tracking shots of students and plenty of shots of students either interacting with one another, taking pictures of exhibits or discussing artwork they had just seen. The shots produced were a variety and I felt this allowed the audience to get more of a feel of the surroundings, hand held tracking shots were used very effectively in the video as I feel they make the audience feel almost as if they were there in the galleries in Madrid with me. Placing the audience member into my shoes on the trip is the best way to encourage people to go. One thing I did feel I was lacking in were establishing shots, Madrid is absolutely stunning and although I feel I did manage to capture some of it's beauty, a few more location/establishing shots would have really brought the video to life. Due to the fact that I was doing a promotional video for the Creative Arts trip to Madrid, all of my filming, minus interviews, was done whilst in Madrid, and as such meant that they only had one chance to get the footage I needed. This made me more organised whilst I was actually on the trip and after reviewing my footage from the first day I found that I needed more shots of student engagement and could focus less on scenery and artwork. When back in the UK I decided to shoot some interviews with students who had gone on the trip, I contacted both an Art and a Photography to show the different subjects that could lead you to this kind of experience. I originally intended on having 4 interviews, the extra two being with an Art Foundation student and a Creative Media Production student, unfortunately I didn't have time to get these two interviews but in editing I spaced out the interviews I did get so that absence of the other two interviews wasn't noticed as much. The questions I asked in the interview were very simple as I just wanted to know what their favourite part of the trip was and how they've benefited from the experience. These two me were the most important things in determining whether the trip was good in terms of student engagement and if it did actually benefit their work.

When it came to choosing music for my promotional video I had to make sure that I chose something that was royalty free for legal reasons and also suited the production piece, the music I went for was 'Brazilian Samba' by BenSound, which I was legally able to use as long as I credited BenSound in my final production piece. The song was very uplifting and fast paced which gave me something to edit to, the cuts in my video are very quick and precise to match the rhythm of the music, and even though its technically a Brazilian piece of music, the song still suits the lively, happy go lucky atmosphere of Madrid. It was after selecting my music that I felt more comfortable editing, I needed something to edit to and the fast up-beat 'Brazilian Samba' was perfect for this. I feel I did a good job of editing in time with the music and just with editing in general, this was probably due to the fact that editing is where I am most organised, making sure that the relevant footage is in the right folders making it far easier for me to locate footage that I need and that I know I can use.


After completing a first draft of my video, I watched it with my client to gain some initial feedback. One key point raised was that they're wasn't enough student engagement in the video, as I had filmed in Madrid it was practically impossible to reshoot and so instead I spoke with another student who had also been on the trip and she was happy for me to use some of her footage. This made the video a much more student lead video and I think this was key in meeting my client's brief, the main thing they wanted from this video was that it was from a student's persecutive and how the student's engage with the activities on the trip. Using the feedback I altered my video and when it was completed, I again sat and watched it through with my client and she picked up on the alterations that I had made and seemed happy with the finished product.

I think the video produced does a good job of giving the audience a feel for what the Creative Arts trip can be like and I think this is down to the fact that a student produced it, the target audience are students and it was key to get across to them the benefits of such a trip. Watching the video through, I am grateful that I got the opportunity to go on such a trip and as shown from the interviews other students were just as happy to go on the trip. Overall, I am very happy with my promotional video, I just wish I'd been more organised in my planning so that I got more interviews and more student engagement on the trip but I still believe it is effective in 'highlighting the creative arts faculty and the student engagement in the trip' and it also 'demonstrates how rewarding and enriching trips abroad are for students and the multiple activities that take place' which is what my client was looking for, according to their design brief. After completing the video I watched it through with a few fellow students and some of them made comment about how they wish they'd been able to go and others saying that they would definitely try to go on a trip like it in the near future. A few students I watched it with said that they could see the educational benefits on the trip but were worried that they might not get much freedom to explore and as such wouldn't enjoy the social side of the trip much, I could have asked questions about this in the interviews so that students could hear directly from students on the trip that the social side of the trip is just as good as the educational, or also included more footage of students engaging with one another rather than just the activities and artwork. Obviously the only way for sure to know whether this promotional video has succeeded in it's job is to compare numbers from this year's trip to next year' trip, for this data I'd have to wait another 7/8 months to find out, so students already saying they wished they'd gone and that others are hoping to go on the trip next year is the best indicator I can ask for.

No comments:

Post a Comment