Wednesday 9 December 2015

Planning


For my New Wave film the most important aspect to plan is the locations that I will be using, here are some of the locations that I plan on visiting:

The Manchester Art Gallery and surrounding streets


I will be filming here as I plan on having shots of established locations such as art galleries to be layered over the top of my other footage, I will be taking advantage of the trip to Manchester to use this location.

Birmingham Art Gallery and Victoria Square


Again I will be filming here as I want to have established locations layered over the top of my other footage, I will also be filming in Victoria Square as the German christmas market is currently being held there, this is quite an established location and so I wish to make use of it whilst I can.

The Custard Factory's surrounding area


I will be filming around The Custard Factory as I have previously visited here and felt like the area's grittiness would work well within my New Wave film as a juxtaposition to established locations like art galleries. The walls are filled with artistic graffiti and I feel like graffiti is one of the key ways of displaying the counter culture movement within today's society.

Whitworth Art Gallery


I will also be filming at the Whitworth Art Gallery as again I feel like this is an established art gallery that will work for layering over the top of my other footage

My bedroom


The majority of filming will be done within my bedroom, this will be my my main footage which will then have other footage from the locations discussed above layered over the top. I will be using two different layouts of the same bedroom to add to the general eccentricity of the film.

UPDATE:
After filming one layout of the bedroom I realised that I did not have much usable footage and so planned to get more filming done using the second layout. This can be clearly seen within my final piece as the majority of action takes place in my bedroom with the second layout.

After visiting Manchester I also realised that the handheld footage would work really well within my film and as such decided to do the same thing when visiting the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery. I also decided to not get as much filming done in Birmingham because by this point I already had well over 3 hours of footage for me to edit and I didn't have much time left, this was down to my organisation skills, or lack of. I decided that it would be best to get a bit of filming done here but only about half an hour as I already had plenty of footage from both Whitworth Art Gallery and Manchester Art Gallery and the location itself was not important but merely the concept behind becoming established and having a living monument long after you are gone.

After filming about half of my overall footage I realised that I had planned to get far too much and the footage I had already captured would be enough to produce a new wave film like I had intended and so decided that any filming I did from then on would be a lot more particular than before so I would not have as much to edit. My main problem was that I had not planned much when I started as I felt there was not much planning to do but having started filming without planning I found that I had so much footage that would not particularly be of any use to me. This was when I decided that I would be much more particular with what I shot and so decided that I wanted to visit the area surrounding The Custard Factory for it's grittiness and graffiti. I also planned certain shots within my bedroom mainly the different angles used, I intended to just use static camera shots for within my bedroom but then decided to incorporate some handheld footage as it worked so well within the art galleries and other locations. I also decided that I would use different angles rather than just an eye level angle so decided to incorporate some canted angles as well as high angles.

No comments:

Post a Comment